This is a variation of recipe 82886 and some other inspirations. Great soup, had nothing but compliments. I served this soup alongside with french bread. It's a good idea to let the kale sit in your fridge for a few days before making his soup. Otherwise it can be too bitter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb turkey sausage, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 2 -3 cups water
- 1 large white onion, roughly diced
- 4 -6 red potatoes, cubed and skin-on
- 1 bunch kale, stemmed, washed & chopped (bite size)
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 2 (4 ounce) cans button mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper (I used a LOT of pepper)
- 1Brown the ground beef and set aside.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a 5 quart pot over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook for about 3 minutes. (I removed the sausage casing prior to cooking).
- 3Add the ground beef, potatoes, onions and garlic. Cook about 7-8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- 4Sprinkle some salt and pepper.
- 5Add the broth, mushrooms, tomatoes, kidney beans and bring to a full boil. Let simmer ten minutes.
- 6Add kale to the pot and let cook about 2 more minutes. Check the liquid level and add 2 or 3 cups of water. (Depending on how thick you want your soup).
- 7Reduce heat to medium and cook about 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add more salt and pepper if needed.
Browse Our Top Lactose-Free Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lactose-Free Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Wintery Kale Soup
Serving Size: 1 (575 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 817.5
- Calories from Fat 333
- Total Fat 37.1 g
- Saturated Fat 13.3 g
- Cholesterol 105.7 mg
- Sodium 951.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.0 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 45.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: