Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a low fat, delicious & vegetarian if you use vegetable broth chili that is very tasty. I got the recipe from my neighbors' sister-in-law, Michele in Texas, and we have been enjoying it ever since.
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (I used 2)
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and seeded chopped into 1" pieces
- 2 medium red peppers, thinly sliced
- 2 small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) cancrushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen white shoepeg corn
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- shredded monterey jack cheese (, to garnish)
- Heat oil in large stockpot and add first 5 ingredients.
- Saute for about 10 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients (except the cheese) and bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Serve with a little cheese sprinkled on top.
I have passed this receipe along to lots of people to. For all you vegetarians out there this is a great chili receipe. Put cheese on it and chips. It's really good and easy to make.
It's currently on the stove and smells wonderful. I added an extra can of black beans for the protein, and some green peas to make the stew even more colorful.
Delicious soup! I had some frozen butternut squash that needed to be used, so made this for lunches this week. Had a bit for snack and will serve with cheese and some tortilla chips. Yum! Thanks for posting!