Winter's Salad With a Goat Cheese Mousse
For the mousse
- 7 ounces soft fresh goat cheese
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
For the vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons sunflower oil or 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 small apples, cored and quartered
- 2 parsnips, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 ounces smoked bacon, cubed
- 1 cooked beet, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 2 handfuls salad leaves
- Make the Mousse: Beat the cheese with the milk until soft and lump free. Whip the cream to stiff peaks. Add one quarter of the whipped cream to the cheese and mix together, then fold in the rest of the cream. Transfer the mousse to a piping bag and leave in the fridge until needed.
- Make the Vinaigrette: Mix the oil and vinegar and season with salt.
- Prepare the Salad: Preheat the oven to 400°F Toss the carrots, parsnips, and apples with the oil in a large roasting pan. Season with salt to taste. Roast for 45 minutes, or unril vegetables are tender and golden.
- Just as the vegetables finish cooking, toss the bacon cubes in a hot pan and cook until crisp.
- Te serve, pipe little blobs of mousse randomly all over a serving plate. Arrange the roasted vegetables, beets, apples, and salad leaves on the plate and sprinkle the bacon over top. Finally, drizzle with the vinaigrette.