Recipe by piranhabriana
From Better Homes and Gardens' January 2008 issue - a "By the Bowlful Recipe".
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 lbs beef stew meat
- 1 large onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 -3 tablespoons chili powder, to taste
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- snipped fresh oregano (optional)
- cooked bacon, crumbled (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In 4-6 qt Dutch oven cook bacon and beef, half at a time, over medium heat until beef is browned. Drain fat. Return meat to pan. Reduce heat; add onions and half of garlic. Cook and stir till onion is tender.
- Add undrained tomatoes, beans, and 1 Tbsp of chili powder. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in remaining garlic, chili powder, and vinegar. Cook, covered, 1 hour. Add water to desired consistency. Season to taste. Top servings with cheese, oregano, and crumbled bacon if desired.