Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is guaranteed to give you a ready brek glow! Delicious and fruity it will keep you going till lunch. It is also low GI, Fat and sugar free - enjoy
- 1 star anise
- 200 ml boiling water
- 50 g porridge oats
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of, a
- 2 tablespoons plain low-fat yogurt
- 1⁄2 orange, zest of, an
- 1 apple, cored and grated
- Steep the anise in the water for 5 minutes.
- Put the oats in a pan, add spices and lemon juice.
- Remove the anise and add the water and stir well.
- Simmer for 3 minutes until the flakes are soft and the porridge thick.
- Stir in yoghurt and serve topped with the orange and apple.
Avery intresting twist. I enjoyed it. Thanks for posting.
I enjoy oats a couple of mornings a week and am always on the look out for new and different ways to prepare them. These have a tartness and the spices provide for a nicely flavored dish. The yogurt adds a nice creamy texture to the cooked oats without added fat. I doubled the recipe, used 1 apple and homemade yogurt. Next go around, I believe that I would try reducing the lemon juice and comparing the difference. Thanks for a nice healthy breakfast treat.