Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
Oh gosh we love this one. Another from Country Recipes. All you need with this is some good crusty dipping bread. I'm sure the crockpot lovers can adjust this to that. Don't let the list of ingredients deter you, its super easy once in the pot.
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 6 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 lbs chuck roast, trimmed, cut into 2-1/2-inch pieces
- 8 medium red potatoes, halved
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium onions, halved
- 8 ounces mushrooms, fresh, halved
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup apple juice
- 10 1⁄2 ounces beef broth
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic, fresh, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat oven to 325°F.
- In dutch oven plce onions, bacon and roast.
- Cook over med. high heat, stirring occasionally, until bacon and roast are browned (8-10 min).
- Stir in vegetables.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and cover.
- Bake for 1-1/2 hour.
- Uncover and continue baking stirring occasionally for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until roast if fork tender.
- Note> I apologize to the masters of the crockpot cookery, but I'm at home all the time, and I love to "play" with my food, stirring, and tasting, and tweaking along. Please feel free to alter this to fit your lifestyle and preferences.
This was a great family meal on a cool night. I used a 1.5kg blade roast, wine rather than the apple juice and stirred in about 2 cups of peas about 15 minutes before serving. I cooked it for a total of two hours, when everything was very tender. I think if you cooked it for a further 2 to 2/2 hours as in step 7 everything would be too mush for our tastes. I chose to add the parsley just at the end.