Prep 15 mins
Cook 16 mins
From a BH & G mag.
Make and share this Winter Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 8 ounces kielbasa or 8 ounces smoked sausage, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/3 c)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 of a small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cubed (about 1 1/3 c)
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup ditalini or 1 cup orzo pasta
- 1 (15 -16 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups prewashed Baby Spinach
- Cook kielbasa and onion in a 4 quart Dutch oven over medium high heat for 5 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth, water, squash, carrot, and pepper. Cover and bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered for 5 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and beans. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and boil gently for 6 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach.
I did make a few changes to the recipe based on ingredients on hand. The sausage was a smoked Linguaca. All chicken broth was used for the liquid and chopped kale was added at the time the beans were added. I did reduce the pasta considerably and used a gluten free linguine which was broken up. After tasting I did add in some salt. The spicy sausage added lots of flavor and is essential in making the soup a success. This was nice and comforting.