Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is adapted from epicurious.com. It's full of flavor and is one of my favorite soups! I usually double it and freeze it for lunches.
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1 cup coarsely chopped parsnip (or turnip)
- 1 cup peeled cored and chopped apple (I usually use gala)
- 1 cup peeled chopped butternut squash
- 1 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 1 cup peeled coarsely chopped sweet potato
- 4 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 finely chopped garlic cloves (or to taste)
- black pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on med-high heat.
- Sauté onion until translucent.
- Add garlic, apple, parsnip, squash, carrot and sweet potato. Sauté for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for approx 30 minutes, (or until vegetables are tender) Stirring occasionally.
- Let cool slightly, puree and enjoy!
What a smooth, warming, pumpkin-coloured soup! Very easy to make as well; nice served with homemade bread. I used 1 1/2 Tbsp oil plus a little water near the end of the sauteeing to help the veggies steam up nicely. Also extra garlic!! The apple adds a lovely sweet dimension. Great recipe, Harriet, keep 'em coming!