Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A hearty soup that makes a nice no meat dinner. Great served with crusty bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb leek, white part only, cleaned and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb carrot, cut in bite size rounds
- 2 small red potatoes, cut in bite size pieces
- 2 small turnips, cut in bite size pieces
- 1 parsnip, cut in bite size pieces
- 2 celery ribs, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons dried lentils
- 2 tablespoons dried split peas
- 2 tablespoons dried small white beans
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 quarts low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces spinach leaves
- Heat oil in bottom of large stock pot.
- Saute onions, leeks, and celery until soft & translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients except for spinach and tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.
- Simmer covered for 45 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and cook an additional 15 minutes or until white beans are done.
- Stir in spinach and serve.