Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This soup takes a lot more preparation than using a tin, but it's nice to have fresh homemade soup from time to time. You can substitute any of the ingrediants as you wish, and add others, like cooked lentils.
- 1 leek
- 3 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper
- 1⁄2 green pepper
- 2 carrots
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped
- ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Chop all of the vegetables except the potatoes, which should be boiled for 20 minutes to soften before adding later.
- Fry the rest of the vegetables and crushed garlic in the olive oil, in a wok or saucepan for 15 to 20 minutes over a medium heat.
- Do not allow them to burn, just brown and release their juices.
- Add the tin of chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, cooked potatoes (chopped) and seasonings.
- Cook for another 15 minutes (or longer if required).
- Serve hot either as is, or with half of the soup pureed using a potatoe masher.