Recipe by Pinaygourmet #345142
A great lasagna using winter time vegetables.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
Update: I loved this so much that I had to eat it for my breakfast today! This was a beautiful and delicious squash lasagna! The prep for me was about 45 min. It is a bit time consuming peeling a squash, but I micro it first (whole) for about 4 min. to soften, and cut it like a fresh pineapple). I do think the next time I can get the prep down to 30 min.)I ended up just grating the carrots in the food processor to lessen the chopping! I used a large skillet to cook the veggies and carefully add the milk very slowly as not to spill out the pan! I think mixing the white sauce with the squash cuts down on the "squash" flavor and could trick some picky eaters into enjoying. I know my daughter liked it well enough and that says something! I used no boil noodles (Barilla) and that helped. I LOVED this and it's going to be a favorite for me! Thanks Pinaygourmet for posting.
- 1 lb lasagna noodle
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups provolone cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated, reserved for top
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, reserved for top
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare lasagne according to package directions; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Melt margarine in large saucepan over low heat. Add onion, squash and carrots. Cook the vegetables over low heat until very soft. Stir in flour with a wooden spoon. Gradually stir in the milk until the mixture is smooth. Bring the mixture to a boil and stir in raisins, salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside 1 cup.
- In a 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish, spread a little of the vegetable sauce over the bottom and cover with lasagne. Sprinkle provolone over lasagne and add more vegetable sauce. Continue to layer sauce, provolone and lasagne, ending with a layer of sauce. Sprinkle top with Parmesan and nuts.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes until nicely browned and heated through.