2 hrs 25 mins
1 hr 30 mins
In 'The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever' by Beatrice Ojakangas
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced parsnip
- 2 cups baby red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch dice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup vegetable broth (homemade, preferred)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2Combine carrots, parsnips, potatoes, and onion in a large saucepan with water to cover.
- 3Bring to a boil and cook 20-25 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- 4Drain and mix with the parsley in a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- 5In a small bowl, mix the vegetable broth and cornstarch; pour over the vegetables in the casserole; mix well.
- 6Sprinkle with the 1 teaspoon salt and pepper to taste; dot the vegetables with the butter.
- 7Make the topping: in a big bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; add in the butter and cut in with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs (or can combine the dry ingredients in a food processor with the steel blade in place; add in the butter and pulse; transfer the mixture to a large bowl).
- 8Slowly stir in the milk with a fork; gather the dough into a mass and knead 5 or 6 times to form a ball.
- 9Roll out on a lightly floured surface so it is the size of the top of the baking dish.
- 10The dough will be about 1/3 inch thick.
- 11Place the dough on top of the vegetables; but do not crimp the edges (it is ok if the topping shrinks away from the edges of the casserole while baking).
- 12Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until the crust is browned and the filling is bubbly.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Winter Vegetable Cobbler
Serving Size: 1 (260 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 531.5
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.4 g
- Saturated Fat 20.2 g
- Cholesterol 85.6 mg
- Sodium 1091.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 7.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: