Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a good thing to eat for dinner with a green salad or steamed spinach.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 1⁄2 lbs rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 small savoy cabbage, cut into 4 wedges, cored and cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1⁄2 lb peeled carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 lb cream cheese, preferably natural, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Butter a 9 by 13 inch baking dish and preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the vegetables in a large pot, cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Salt liberally. Cook until the potatoes are tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain well and return to the pot. Mash the vegetables, being concerned only that the potatoes are well mashed.
- Stir in the cream cheese and Parmesan cheese and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the vegetables to the buttered baking dish and dot the top with butter. Bake for 45 minutes, until the top is lightly browned. You may prepare and refrigerate the casserole a day in advance. Remove from the fridge and bake for 1 to 1 1/4 hours until hot all the way through. Serves 6-8.
- Screamingly Good Food Karen Barnaby.