Recipe by Cook4_6
Found this in December 2001 Bon Appetit when I was looking to duplicate Paneras Vegetable Soup with Pesto.
Top Review by Dr. Jenny
Yum! This soup is healthy, as well as hearty and really tasty. While it's called "winter vegetable soup," I think this recipe could be a crossover to Spring/Summer as well since it includes fresh basil (pesto) and the vegetables are ones that you can find year round. I know I enjoyed it on this cooler Spring day. For the record, as I was running low on fresh Parm, I tried my second helping with fresh pecorino romano cheese on top and this worked well too. While it took awhile for everything to cook, I did not think the soup was difficult to make. I'm looking forward to sharing it with DH for leftover lunch tomorrow. Thanks! Made for Spring 2013 Photo Tag.
- 2 cups basil leaves (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato, drained canned
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 large leeks, chopped (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, diced
- 6 ounces white-skinned potatoes, peeled, diced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 6 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini, rinsed, drained (white kidney beans)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
Directions See How It's Made
- For pesto:.
- Puree all ingredients in processor. Season with salt and pepper. (Pesto can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- For soup:.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in heavy large pot. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add broth; bring to boil. Stir in orzo; boil uncovered until orzo is almost tender, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Add green beans; reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in cannellini and crushed pepper; simmer until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide pesto among 4 bowls. Ladle soup over pesto; swirl to blend. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese.