Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this in December 2001 Bon Appetit when I was looking to duplicate Paneras Vegetable Soup with Pesto.
- 2 cups basil leaves (packed)
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato, drained canned
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 large leeks, chopped (white and pale green parts only)
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, diced
- 6 ounces white-skinned potatoes, peeled, diced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup orzo pasta (rice-shaped pasta)
- 6 ounces green beans, trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (15 ounce) can cannellini, rinsed, drained (white kidney beans)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- For pesto:.
- Puree all ingredients in processor. Season with salt and pepper. (Pesto can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- For soup:.
- Combine first 4 ingredients in heavy large pot. Cover and cook over medium-low heat until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes. Add broth; bring to boil. Stir in orzo; boil uncovered until orzo is almost tender, stirring often, about 12 minutes. Add green beans; reduce heat and simmer until beans are tender, about 6 minutes. Stir in cannellini and crushed pepper; simmer until heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide pesto among 4 bowls. Ladle soup over pesto; swirl to blend. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese.
Yum! This soup is healthy, as well as hearty and really tasty. While it's called "winter vegetable soup," I think this recipe could be a crossover to Spring/Summer as well since it includes fresh basil (pesto) and the vegetables are ones that you can find year round. I know I enjoyed it on this cooler Spring day. For the record, as I was running low on fresh Parm, I tried my second helping with fresh pecorino romano cheese on top and this worked well too. While it took awhile for everything to cook, I did not think the soup was difficult to make. I'm looking forward to sharing it with DH for leftover lunch tomorrow. Thanks! Made for Spring 2013 Photo Tag.