Recipe by 3KillerBs
Brighten up a chilly, drippy, dreary day with the sunshiny brightness of pineapples and mandarin oranges sparked with crystallized ginger and kissed with summer in the form of blackberry syrup. I should have made a double batch because it was gone in no time. I served it as a side dish with a meal of venison burgers and baked sweetpotatoes, but it would make a nice, light dessert. "Cooking" time is chilling time.
- 2 (20 ounce) cans pineapple chunks
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 yellow apple
- 1 red apple
- 1 pears or 1 yellow apple
- 1⁄3 cup walnuts, coarsely broken
- 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger, minced
- 1⁄4 cup blackberry syrup
- 1 -2 tablespoon spiced rum (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice.
- Core apples and pear. Cut in bite-sized chunks.
- Mix fruit, walnuts, and ginger in a large bowl.
- Dress with the blackberry syrup, 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice, and the rum if desired. Toss well.
- Chill for 1/2 hour.
- Toss again and serve.
- If its a festive occasion this would be particularly pretty served on a leaf of curly endive with a couple red grapes alongside and a puff of whipped cream on top.