Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Quick and easy, yet surprisingly delicious and hearty. Ground beef, potatoes, cabbage, broth and seasonings make this a fast and tasty dish sure to please your family! Serve with rolls or a nice crusty bread and sliced cheese. I came up with this on one of those 'there's nothing in the house to eat' nights and the kids loved it! They named it Winter Stew because it was in the winter and it's been a winter staple on our menu ever since. We've also made this with Steak-Umm and it's great with that too! Just chop the Steak-umm into small pieces, cook, and remove from pan until adding the cabbage.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded or 2 cups coleslaw mix
- 1 cup broth (any will do)
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Cook ground beef over medium-high heat until browned, then drain.
- To same pan, add diced onions and cook until translucent.
- To onions, add potatoes, stirring and cooking for a few minutes.
- Then add cabbage, stirring and cooking for until well combined.
- Add ground beef, broth, ketchup and seasonings, mixing well.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer at least 10 minutes or until vegetables are as tender as you like.