Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Tasty comfort food from "The Float Away Cafe" in Atlanta.
- 8 lbs winter squash, Peeled, Seeded And Cubed Into 2 Inch Cubes
- 2 quarts chicken stock (Recipe Follows)
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon salt (To Taste)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (To Taste)
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin seed oil (optional)
- 2 whole chickens, Rinsed
- 2 celery ribs, Cut In Two Inch Pieces
- 2 carrots, Cut In Two Inch Pieces
- 1 whole garlic, Cut In Half
- 1 Spanish onion, Quartered
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- Winter Squash Soup With Pumpkin Seed Oil:.
- Bring chicken stock to a boil & add squash.
- Bring back to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook until squash is tender and cooked.
- Puree in food processor or with a wand blender.
- Strain through fine sieve, the consistency should be smooth and silky.
- Blend in the cream maple syrup & whole butter.
- Season with salt, pepper & nutmeg.
- Garnish with a drizzle of pumpkin seed oil.
- Chicken Stock:
- In large stock pot - 8 quarts - place chickens and fill with cold water to cover chickens.
- Add salt and place over high heat.
- As soon as the liquid comes to a boil reduce heat to a simmer and skim off the foam on top.
- Add all vegetables, bay leaf & herb stems and simmer on low heat for 3 to 4 hours.
- Strain through fine sieve.
- Reserve the chicken meat for soup or salads.
- Allow the stock to cool overnight in refrigerator.
- Skim fat off the top and reduce stock by one quarter.
- It is now ready to reserve or freeze for later use.