I developed this recipe for my family. It was such a hit, I decided to share it! The Cinnamon Croutons put the "wow" in this recipe!
- 907.18 g winter squash, i use acorn & butternut together when i make this recipe (butternut, acorn, pumpkin, etc.)
- 236.59 ml onion, diced
- 236.59 ml leek, diced
- 354.88 ml carrots, diced
- 22.18 ml butter
- 1892.0 ml vegetable stock
- 1.23 ml allspice, ground
- 4.92 ml ginger, fresh grated
- salt (to taste)
- white pepper (to taste)
- apple, -firm and tart (as desired)
- cinnamon crouton (as desired)
- Cut squash in half, remove seeds and place squash face down on an oiled baking sheet. Bake about 30-45 minutes (depending upon size) in a preheated 350 degree F oven until soft.
- While squash is baking, heat the butter in a heavy soup pot over medium low heat. Add onions, leeks, and carrots. Sweat until soft. Do not brown. Add vegetable stock to soup pot and bring to a gentle simmer.
- When squash is done, scoop cooked squash from the. Add squash to the soup pot. Continue to simmer about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are thoroughly cooked and softened.
- Puree soup mixture in a blender or food processor. This may require several batches. Strain soup through a medium mesh strainer and discard the solids.
- Season with allspice, ginger, salt and pepper. Portion soup into individual bowls. Slice apples very thin and arrange attractively on top of soup. Garnish with Cinnamon Croutons.
- **Cinnamon Croutons – take day old bread & cube. Place bread in a large zip style bag. Add some cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, and melted butter. Shake well until all bread is coated. Bake in pre-heated 400 degree over till golden. You may have to stir them once during cooking.
- Recipe written by Sherry Schie, Jazzy Cooking with Sherry, LLC.