1/3 Photos of Winter Squash Soup
1 hr 45 mins
JazzyCooking with Sherry's Note:
I developed this recipe for my family. It was such a hit, I decided to share it! The Cinnamon Croutons put the "wow" in this recipe!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs winter squash, i use acorn & butternut together when i make this recipe (butternut, acorn, pumpkin, etc.)
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup leek, diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice, ground
- 1 teaspoon ginger, fresh grated
- salt (to taste)
- white pepper (to taste)
- apple, -firm and tart (as desired)
- cinnamon crouton (as desired)
- 1Cut squash in half, remove seeds and place squash face down on an oiled baking sheet. Bake about 30-45 minutes (depending upon size) in a preheated 350 degree F oven until soft.
- 2While squash is baking, heat the butter in a heavy soup pot over medium low heat. Add onions, leeks, and carrots. Sweat until soft. Do not brown. Add vegetable stock to soup pot and bring to a gentle simmer.
- 3When squash is done, scoop cooked squash from the. Add squash to the soup pot. Continue to simmer about 30 minutes, or until vegetables are thoroughly cooked and softened.
- 4Puree soup mixture in a blender or food processor. This may require several batches. Strain soup through a medium mesh strainer and discard the solids.
- 5Season with allspice, ginger, salt and pepper. Portion soup into individual bowls. Slice apples very thin and arrange attractively on top of soup. Garnish with Cinnamon Croutons.
- 6**Cinnamon Croutons – take day old bread & cube. Place bread in a large zip style bag. Add some cinnamon, sugar, nutmeg, and melted butter. Shake well until all bread is coated. Bake in pre-heated 400 degree over till golden. You may have to stir them once during cooking.
- 7Recipe written by Sherry Schie, Jazzy Cooking with Sherry, LLC.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Winter Squash Soup
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 110.9
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 57.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: