Recipe by JanaBird
I do not like canned or processed pumpkin. I looked years for a recipe i like and this is it. To spice it up a bit try Captain Morgans spiced Rum. Prep time does not include the time to cook the squash or make the pie shell.
Top Review by Kitsune
Yummy yummy yummy! I used some assorted winter squashes that I roasted first. I added a dash of ground cloves too. I've always preferred squash pie over pumpkin and this was crazy good! The hubby and I ate the whole thing in a couple of days. It makes a lot of filling, so use a big/deep pie pan or two regular ones. It took almost 25 minutes extra to cook through.
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked squash or 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 sugar
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- pie shell, baked
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash-peel and cube fresh pumpkin or squash.
- Steam for one hour.
- Drain in a colander for a long time mashing the pumpkin periodically.
- This mixture freezes well in zip bags.
- In a large bowl combine the squash, milk, eggs, rum and vanilla, mix well.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the pie shell.
- Bake at 300°F for one hour.