Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
I do not like canned or processed pumpkin. I looked years for a recipe i like and this is it. To spice it up a bit try Captain Morgans spiced Rum. Prep time does not include the time to cook the squash or make the pie shell.
- Wash-peel and cube fresh pumpkin or squash.
- Steam for one hour.
- Drain in a colander for a long time mashing the pumpkin periodically.
- This mixture freezes well in zip bags.
- In a large bowl combine the squash, milk, eggs, rum and vanilla, mix well.
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the batter into the pie shell.
- Bake at 300°F for one hour.
Yummy yummy yummy! I used some assorted winter squashes that I roasted first. I added a dash of ground cloves too. I've always preferred squash pie over pumpkin and this was crazy good! The hubby and I ate the whole thing in a couple of days. It makes a lot of filling, so use a big/deep pie pan or two regular ones. It took almost 25 minutes extra to cook through.
Good one, Jana! I had tons for buttrnut squash so used it instead of pumpkin and as well substituted 1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice instead of spices. We took this to a church supper and everyone loved it. Great addition to our recipe collection.