Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
A lovely and savory combination of flavors, this recipe appeared the day before Thanksgiving in our local newspaper, *The Bangor Daily News*. Made it several days later to serve with leftover turkey, using Swiss rather than Gruyere to save money. We were more than satisfied!
- 2 cups acorn squash or 2 cups butternut squash, mashed
- 1 small onion, diced
- olive oil
- 1 pie crust (store-bought or home-made)
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 4 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese or 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Heat small amount of olive oil in pan and saute diced onion until slightly translucent.
- Fold onions into squash with rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Crack eggs into 2-cup measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 2 cups. Whisk eggs and milk together. Add to squash mixture; blend well.
- Place crust in pie pan and prick bottom with fork. Spread small amount of cheese on bottom of crust. Pour in squash and onion mixture. Top with rest of the cheese. Bake for 40 minutes, until quiche is set and cheese is golden and bubbling.