1 hr 10 mins
Kelly M.'s Note:
I adapted this recipe from a magazine clipping. A wonderful gratin using kabocha squash. If kabocha is unavailabe to you, you may substiture butternut or pumpkin. And you can substitute different cheese for the fontinella, asiago or gruyere would be good. Delicious and a simple dish, great for family or company. Easily doubles.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 cups peeled kabocha squash or 4 cups butternut squash or 4 cups pumpkin, cut to about 1 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups skim milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup grated fontinella cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 slice white bread
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 2Place squash in a single layer on a baking sheet coated with non-stick spray.
- 3Bake squash for 25 minutes or until tender.
- 4Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- 5Add onions and saute until tender.
- 6Whisk milk and flour together until combined, and add to skillet.
- 7Bring to a boil, then cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- 8Remove from heat and stir in cheese, nutmeg and pepper, stirring constantly until cheese melts.
- 9Gently stir in squash and pour mixture into a greased baking dish-- about a 1-quart size.
- 10Place bread in a food processor, and pulse into coarse crumbs measuring about 2/3 cup.
- 11Add parsley and garlic, pulsing once or twice to combine.
- 12Sprinkle bread mixture over the squash.
- 13Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- 14*Note*:You can make this the day before, refrigerate and reserve breadcrumbs separately, and reheat in a 400 degree for about 30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Winter Squash Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (179 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 170.3
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 16.2 mg
- Sodium 549.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 9.6 g