Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A rich blend of true fall favorites-squash, apples, onions, and lentils-is topped with broiled cheese bread. This bisque is "souper!" From eatbetteramerica.com.
- 2 medium butternut squash or 2 medium acorn squash, cooked, peeled, and chopped
- 2 medium green apples or 473.18 ml green apples, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml unsweetened applesauce
- 236.59 ml apple juice
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 0.59 ml ground red pepper (Cayenne)
- 3 (1190.67 g) can vegetable broth
- 118.29 ml dried lentils, sorted, rinsed or 113.39 g dried lentils
- 177.44 ml shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese or 85.04 g reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 6 slice French bread (1/4 inch thick)
- additional chopped red onion, if desired
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat squash, apples, onion, applesauce, apple juice, nutmeg, red pepper and 1 cup of the broth to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 20 minutes.
- In blender or food processor, place squash mixture. Cover and blend on medium speed until smooth; return mixture to saucepan. Stir in the lentils and remaining broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender.
- Set oven control to broil. Sprinkle cheese on bread slices. Place on rack in broiler pan. Broil bread with top 3-inches from heat about 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Top each serving of soup with slice of cheese bread and chopped onion.
- RECIPE TIP:.
- Pump up Potassium:.
- Potassium can blunt the effects of salt on blood pressure. Good sources of potassium include bananas, raisins, tomato sauce and winter squash.