Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
A rich blend of true fall favorites-squash, apples, onions, and lentils-is topped with broiled cheese bread. This bisque is "souper!" From eatbetteramerica.com.
- 2 medium butternut squash or 2 medium acorn squash, cooked, peeled, and chopped
- 2 medium green apples or 2 cups green apples, chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper (Cayenne)
- 3 (14 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup dried lentils, sorted, rinsed or 4 ounces dried lentils
- 3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese or 3 ounces reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 6 slices French bread (1/4 inch thick)
- additional chopped red onion, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- In 3-quart saucepan, heat squash, apples, onion, applesauce, apple juice, nutmeg, red pepper and 1 cup of the broth to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 20 minutes.
- In blender or food processor, place squash mixture. Cover and blend on medium speed until smooth; return mixture to saucepan. Stir in the lentils and remaining broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover; simmer 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender.
- Set oven control to broil. Sprinkle cheese on bread slices. Place on rack in broiler pan. Broil bread with top 3-inches from heat about 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. Top each serving of soup with slice of cheese bread and chopped onion.
- RECIPE TIP:.
- Pump up Potassium:.
- Potassium can blunt the effects of salt on blood pressure. Good sources of potassium include bananas, raisins, tomato sauce and winter squash.