Recipe by Chef Kate
A foolproof recipe, you can vary it by using other dried fruits and/or spices. You can use ruby or tawny port--no need to use a great vintage here, but do use something drinkable. I think it is worth it to seek out organic dried fruits.
- 12 prunes, pitted
- 8 dried figs
- 4 dried apricot halves (or peaches)
- 4 dried pear halves
- 3 pieces crystallized ginger
- 1 clove
- 5 allspice berries
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick, about 1-inch long
- 1 cup port wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine everything in a heavy non reactive pan and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- If the dried fruits are not sufficiently tender, add 1/4 cup of water and simmer and additional 15 minutes.
- Once the fruit is sufficently tender, remove the fruit to a serving bowl and strain the liquid over the fruit.