Recipe by afr0bunny
after trying a number of different soup recipes, i took my favorite elements from each one and created my own soup. it is a meal by itself.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage or 1 lb mild Italian sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 cups water
- 2 (19 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed well
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes (with juice, i prefer pomi tomatoes for this recipe)
- 1⁄2 lb macaroni
- 2⁄3 lb spinach, trimmed and washed
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- cook macaroni until al dente.
- remove sausage from casings.
- heat oil over med.
- high heat, cook the sausage, breaking it up, and remove.
- reduce head to medium or med-low and add onion, carrot, and celery.
- cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies start to soften- about 7 minute.
- add garlic, thyme, red pepper flakes, and oregano and saute 2-3 min more.
- puree 1 can of beans with 2 C water.
- add tomatoes, bean puree, stocks, remaining 2 C water, and some salt and pepper to the pot with the veggies.
- bring to a boil and skim the foam from the top of the boiling liquid.
- add beans and slow the boil to a simmer.
- add spinach, cooked macaroni, and sausage and stir 2-3 minute until spinach has wilted.
- soup is done!
- before serving, remove thyme sprig and bay leaves.
- i like to have this with a little parmesan grated on top and some crusty whole grain bread.