Recipe by Lalaloula
This yummy and healthy recipe comes from the wonderful book "Mon premier dîner végétarien" by Alice Hart. It is slightly sweet, nutty and just super yummy. It looks very pretty, too. I brought it to a party and it was gone in nearly no time. I hope youll enjoy this as much as we do!
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Great, just great! We loved this salad & I've been asked to keep the recipe around & make it again, so . . . The only thing I changed (no big thing) was to use nicely rounded measures of the cranberries & the nuts! And, although I usually have my dressing on the side, the amount called for in this recipe was right on, at least for the 2 of us! Thanks for sharing the recipe for this wonderful tasting salad! [Tagged & made in Please Review My Recipe]
For the Salad
- 4 medium carrots, diced
- 3 onions, quartered (I used a mix of red and brown)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1 cayenne pepper, ground
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 150 g walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 150 g dried cranberries
- 200 g spelt berries (or use a mix of different grains and rice)
- 175 g feta cheese, cubed
- 1⁄2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
For the dressing
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- On a paper-lined baking sheet combine carrots, onions, olive oil, honey and spices.
- Bake in the preheated oven at 190°C/375°F for 25 minutes until soft and caramelised.
- Add the walnuts and cranberries and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile combine spelt berries (or grain mix), 500 ml water and a pinch of salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and cook covered for 25 minutes or until tender. Drain if necessary and set aside.
- In a large serving bowl combine the baked vegetables, spelt berries, parsley (is using) and feta cheese.
- For the dressing combine all of the ingredients and then pour it over the salad. Mix well and enjoy either warm or cold.