Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
Since I live in Thailand where I make this salad frequently (at least a couple times a month), I am not so sure about the title of this recipe anymore. It is retained from an unknown issue of "Cooking Pleasures" magazine, where I discovered and modified it only slightly some years ago. Perhaps a better title is the one my former neighbor, Wes, used to refer to it: "The Good Salad." Whatever you call it, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- 6 cups torn leaf lettuce
- 6 cups spinach
- 1⁄2 cup diced red onion
- 1 pomelo fruit, sectioned and chopped up if you like (or grapefruit, whichever is handier to your location)
- 2 navel oranges, sectioned
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, either chopped or slivered, dry roasted to golden
- 1⁄3 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Place all salad ingredients in a bowl.
- Place all vinaigrette ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake 30 seconds or until combined.
- Toss salad lightly and eat.
Yum - we loved this salad! Left out the avocado and bleu cheese for personal preference. The orange and grapefruit were great in this, as was the sweet/spicy/tangy dressing. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2011