From a local recipe. Omit the cheese for a vegan version. Vegetables used for the test recipe: carrots, parsnips, rutabaga/swede, red beet, golden beet, sweet potato (orange flesh variety), small Dutch potato and red potato. The golden beet was sliced thinly and stir fried with the other root vegetables. The red potato and Dutch potato were left unpeeled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 946.36 ml root vegetables (mixed, peeled, sliced about Ã 1/4-inch bite-sized root vegetables. Read recipe intro for suggestions)
- 2 thinly sliced carrots (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium chopped onion (about 1 cup and I sliced the onions instead)
- 29.58 ml cooking oil (be sure to use an oil with a high smoke point)
- 2.46 ml salt-free garlic powder
- 44.37 ml parmesan cheese (we tried feta cheese)
- 1 medium beet, raw, peeled and grated
- salt, to taste
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, minced (optional)
- 1Rinse and rub the root vegetables clean in cool running water.
- 2Prepare vegetables and combine all except the grated *red* beets.
- 3Heat a skillet to medium temperature (about 350 degrees) with oil. Stir-fry the veggies (except *red*beets) until tender. I stir fried everything about 8-10 minutes until the root veggies were browned and the onions crispy and starting to caramelize. Add the garlic powder the last minute of stir frying.
- 4Serve hot with cheese, raw grated beets and parsley on top. Season to taste with salt and cracked black pepper.
- 5Serving suggestion from Cookgirl's kitchen: We served the veggies over long grain brown rice. If desired, accompany the stir fry with a small mixed greens' salad.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Winter Root Veggie Stir Fry (Vegan Friendly)
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.3
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 4.4 mg
- Sodium 118.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 2.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
salt-free garlic powder