Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
From a local recipe. Omit the cheese for a vegan version. Vegetables used for the test recipe: carrots, parsnips, rutabaga/swede, red beet, golden beet, sweet potato (orange flesh variety), small Dutch potato and red potato. The golden beet was sliced thinly and stir fried with the other root vegetables. The red potato and Dutch potato were left unpeeled.
- 4 cups root vegetables (mixed, peeled, sliced about Ã 1/4-inch bite-sized root vegetables. Read recipe intro for suggestions)
- 2 thinly sliced carrots (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium chopped onion (about 1 cup and I sliced the onions instead)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil (be sure to use an oil with a high smoke point)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt-free garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese (we tried feta cheese)
- 1 medium beet, raw, peeled and grated
- salt, to taste
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- fresh parsley, minced (optional)
- Rinse and rub the root vegetables clean in cool running water.
- Prepare vegetables and combine all except the grated *red* beets.
- Heat a skillet to medium temperature (about 350 degrees) with oil. Stir-fry the veggies (except *red*beets) until tender. I stir fried everything about 8-10 minutes until the root veggies were browned and the onions crispy and starting to caramelize. Add the garlic powder the last minute of stir frying.
- Serve hot with cheese, raw grated beets and parsley on top. Season to taste with salt and cracked black pepper.
- Serving suggestion from Cookgirl's kitchen: We served the veggies over long grain brown rice. If desired, accompany the stir fry with a small mixed greens' salad.