Recipe by cookiecutter _
A "leftovers" meal. This recipe is from the book "Under the Tuscan Sun." The vegetables listed below are just suggestions.
- 1 lb white beans
- 2 onions, diced
- 6 carrots, diced
- 4 celery ribs, diced
- cabbage or chard leaves, diced
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, coarsley chopped
- 5 large tomatoes, diced
- fresh parsley, minced
- old bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse the white beans and place in a stock pot.
- Cover with water, bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let them sit for a couple hours.
- If water had boiled down add more so beans are covered again, add seasonings and simmer until barely done.
- Saute onions and carrots in olive oil for several minutes and add celery, chard, and garlic. Add more oil if needed and cook 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, beans, and a heel of parmigiano, if available.
- Add enough stock to cover, bring to a boil and simmer 1 hour. Remove from heat.
- Add bread and let rest for several hours.
- Reheat and add parsley. Pour into bowls and top with grated parmigiano if desired.