Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This has a very different taste to a basil pesto, but I think it is delicious. Plus, it's a great way to eat your spinach! This quantity is enough for 2 1/2 lbs of pasta.
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups firmly packed spinach leaves, stems discarded,washed well and spun dry
- 2 cups firmly packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup walnuts, toasted lightly and cooled
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seed
- Mince and mash the garlic to a paste with salt.
- In a processor or blender, puree spinach with parsley, oil, walnuts, Parmesan, fennel and garlic paste.
- The pesto keeps, covered with a thin film of olive oil and chilled, up to 2 weeks.
- This makes enough to use with up to 2 ½ lbs of pasta.
This is a great thing to make and then have stored in the freezer for a busy night. I served this with pasta, broccoli, and some parm on one occasion, and it's a good stand-in for the "real" thing. I've also covered flounder filets with it (and then covered and baked), and I've stirred it into "leeky rice" (rice with sauteed leeks) and topped with parm. I'm sure there are many more yummy ways to use this, so I'll soon be making more. Thank you for such a useful recipe!
I was so excited to find this recipe...had some spinach I needed to use and I was out of basil pesto from the summer crop. I used Walnuts in my first batch then had to use pecans in the second batch (out of Walnuts) and it was just as good. I almost started to try sunflower seeds, but wasn't sure...however, I saw another Winter Pesto recipe that used them (but had other ingredients I wasn't sure I would like)...but next time I make this, I will definitely try a batch with the Sunflower seeds too! Very good and easy recipe. I can't wait to try it on one of my favorite pasta recipes, fish, or chicken. My husband thought it would be good on cream cheese with crackers too! Definitely going in my keeper file! Thanks so much!!
Very good mild flavor. I didn't change a thing to the recipe and served this in a large aluminum pan at a party. Everyone enjoyed the healthy pasta.