It's the dream soup here at the beach, for cold toes and noses. Husband and all family love it. Serve with crusty bread for sure, and salad if you want. When picky daughter gives me thumbs up, I believe! I've been eyeballing my clam chowder for years, this time I wrote it down. I hope you enjoy!
- 8 (6 1/2 ounce) canschopped clams
- 1 (10 ounce) can baby clams
- clam juice, all the juice reserved from all clams
- 8 -16 slices bacon, fried crisp and chopped, 2 Tablespoons fat left in the pan
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 -3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 medium peeled yukon gold potatoes, 1/2 inch dice (or russets, any potato will do)
- 1 teaspoon crushed dried thyme or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 3 1⁄2 cups clam juice, reserved, make up the 3 1/2 cups with chicken stock (preferably)
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine, Chardonnay wine (drinkable)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- salt & pepper
- Drain clams in colander, reserving liquid in large bowl. Allow liquid to sit still to let any sand that may be in it to drop to the bottom of the bowl.
- In a large, heavy pot, in the rendered fat and 2 Tablespoons of butter, sweat the onions and celery until tender.
- Add garlic, thyme, potatoes, clams, clam juice and cooked bacon.
- Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- In the meantime, whisk the flour and the cup of milk together and let stand, whisking occasionally, until the flour and milk are completely smooth. Then add the 2 cups of half & half and the white wine.
- Add this mixture to the pot and slowly bring to a simmer, stirring all the time! Simmer for 5 minutes or more, tasting to make sure the flour has cooked.
- Now add the fresh lemon juice and let this wonderful chowder sit on your stovetop for about 1 hour, to let the flavors marry and use the time to heat up a crusty bread, make a salad if you want, and serve.
- It's always way better the next day! So you can cool it off in the refrigerator uncovered and stir now and again, then cover and store till the next day.
- This freezes well, but is better fresh!