Winter Harvest Vegetable Soup
- In a saucepan melt the butter and add olive oil.
- Saute onions, celery and garlic until translucent but not browned. Remove from heat and place in a large stock pot.
- Add stock, potatoes, squash, turnips, carrots, parsnips and bay leaves then bring to a gentle boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add apples, basil, thyme, pepper and salt to taste, mixing well.
- Ladle into prepared jars leaving a 1" headspace.
- Process pint jars for 75 minutes and quarts for 90 minutes at 10 lb pressure.
- Adjust pressure according to your altitude and / or style of canner.