Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Yahoo Group Files
Make and share this Winter Harvest Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 4 medium carrots, halved and sliced
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 leek, sliced thin (white part only)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 10 cups chicken stock or 10 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups cubed peeled boiling potatoes
- 2 cups cubed peeled butternut squash
- 2 large tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan melt the butter and add olive oil.
- Saute onions, celery and garlic until translucent but not browned. Remove from heat and place in a large stock pot.
- Add stock, potatoes, squash, turnips, carrots, parsnips and bay leaves then bring to a gentle boil over medium high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add apples, basil, thyme, pepper and salt to taste, mixing well.
- Ladle into prepared jars leaving a 1" headspace.
- Process pint jars for 75 minutes and quarts for 90 minutes at 10 lb pressure.
- Adjust pressure according to your altitude and / or style of canner.