1 hr 5 mins
Don Adams's Note:
A good winter time meal by itself.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup pearl barley
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 1 cup lentils
- 1 (10 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 (12 ounce) jar mild salsa
- 1 lb fresh spinach, washed well,roots and coarse leaves discarded (Add spinach last)
- 1Remove sausage castings and crumble meat in a 5- to 6-quart pan over med-high heat; stir often until browned.
- 2Remove meat from pan with slotted spoon; set aside.
- 3Add onion, garlic, and barley to drippings.
- 4Cook, stirring often, until onion is limp and barley toasted.
- 5Add broth, parsley, chicken breast, and lentils.
- 6Bring to a boil, cover, and simmer until breast is white in thickest part, about 30 minutes.
- 7Remove breast, let cool, discard skin and bones.
- 8Shred meat and return to pan.
- 9Drain beans; add salsa and sausge.
- 10Heat to simmering.
- 11Chop spinach and stir into soup.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Winter Hardy Spiced Lentil-Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (687 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 490.0
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.4 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 69.9 mg
- Sodium 2046.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.5 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 39.4 g