Recipe by College Girl
Danial Day-Lewis's sister and close friend of Julia Roberts, this British food star cooks at the cross roads of poetry, parsimony, and pure flavor. Local ingredients and deliriously beautiful guest worthy salad. "We call March the "hungry gap" in England. Game season isn't over , crops aren't up, so you have to get creative with texture and color," says Day-Lewis. Her cookbook is Supper for a Song.From March 2010 Elle magazine.
- 4 navel oranges or 4 blood oranges
- 2 pink grapefruit
- 12 -15 medjool dates (organic if possible)
- 1 pomegranate
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons sugar, unrefined
- handful pistachios
Directions See How It's Made
- As you prepare citrus fruit. save the juices, tipping them into heavy-bottomed pan in which you will make the syrup.
- Peel and slice three oranges into circles and place in a bowl. Add segments of cut grapefruit and halved, pitted dates.
- Squeeze juice from remaining orange, grapefruit, and half a pomegranate into the pan with juice, bring slowly to a boil, and cook until it's a syrupy consistency. Remove from heat.
- Add pistachios and cover the pan. Remove the seeds from remaining pomegranate half and add to fruit. Pour warm syrup over the fruit salad. Refrigerate until serving.