Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe has been in my family for ages and is always a favorite at family gatherings.
- 6 apples, cut into small pieces
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pineapple tidbits, drained
- 2 (16 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 4 bananas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups pineapple juice, from tidbits (if needed add mandarin orange juice)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2⁄3 cup orange juice
- Blend liquids in sauce pan.
- Heat and bring to a boil. (should get thinker and change color).
- Cool the sauce and stir in the fruit.
I made this yesterday for Christmas breakfast and it was a huge hit. I prefer fresh fruit, but everyone else raved over this. It's kind of like a healthier, not-so-sweet and much better version of canned fruit cocktail. I tried to cut the recipe in half, which was a little tricky b/c I could only find 20 oz. cans of pineapple and ended up using the full 16 oz of mandarin oranges for color. I added fresh red grapes for more texture and color as well. Overall, I will probably make this again for guests, but if you're feeding fresh-fruit lovers, you probably want to go another way.