Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very versatile fruit dish that's easy to prepare. My favourite dried fruits to use are raisins and dried apricots.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and very thinly slivered
- 1 cup dried fruit (your choice, any combination)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries or 2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1 orange, peeled and sectioned,seeds removed
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled,cored,quartered and cut into small slices
- In large saucepan, combine sugar, water and ginger; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add dried fruit and bring back to a boil; immediately reduce heat to low simmer.
- Cook, uncovered, until fruit is not quite tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cranberries and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cranberries pop.
- Stir in orange and apple.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool down.
- For dessert, serve warm over ice cream, or at room temperature over a plain cake, such as angel food cake or pound cake.
- Can also be served with yogurt; makes a particularly nice breakfast.
I made this yesterday and refrigerated it. For the dried fruit I used crytallized ginger and papaya mixed and omitted the fresh ginger Lovely flavor combination. I served it with a bit of vanilla yogurt. This would be wonderful as a dessert
I really wanted to love this. Really I did. I tasted all the fruit before I put it in (except the cranberries), and the end product was bitter. Really bitter. I don't know how I went wrong!? It was edible with lots and lots of ice cream, but I'm not sure what to do with all that is left. I may try to add some more sugar or something. I will try this again and hope that maybe I just got bad fruit...because I love the idea of this recipe. I'm so sorry!