Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Very versatile fruit dish that's easy to prepare. My favourite dried fruits to use are raisins and dried apricots.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and very thinly slivered
- 1 cup dried fruit (your choice, any combination)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries or 2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1 orange, peeled and sectioned,seeds removed
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled,cored,quartered and cut into small slices
- In large saucepan, combine sugar, water and ginger; bring to a boil over high heat.
- Add dried fruit and bring back to a boil; immediately reduce heat to low simmer.
- Cook, uncovered, until fruit is not quite tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add cranberries and simmer, stirring occasionally, until cranberries pop.
- Stir in orange and apple.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool down.
- For dessert, serve warm over ice cream, or at room temperature over a plain cake, such as angel food cake or pound cake.
- Can also be served with yogurt; makes a particularly nice breakfast.
I made this yesterday and refrigerated it. For the dried fruit I used crytallized ginger and papaya mixed and omitted the fresh ginger Lovely flavor combination. I served it with a bit of vanilla yogurt. This would be wonderful as a dessert
I really wanted to love this. Really I did. I tasted all the fruit before I put it in (except the cranberries), and the end product was bitter. Really bitter. I don't know how I went wrong!? It was edible with lots and lots of ice cream, but I'm not sure what to do with all that is left. I may try to add some more sugar or something. I will try this again and hope that maybe I just got bad fruit...because I love the idea of this recipe. I'm so sorry!