Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
A simple little chutney you can prepare any time of the year, especially nice served with a strong cheddar, it is also delicious with our French Canadian tourtiere. Source: Homemakers Magazine
- 177.44 ml quartered pitted prune
- 177.44 ml quartered dried apricot
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large tart apple, peeled and finely chopped
- 118.29 ml canned tomato, chopped drained seeded
- 78.07 ml granulated sugar
- 2.46 ml ground ginger (I use one teaspoon of fresh grated ginger)
- 1.23 ml ground cinnamon
- 1.23 ml clove
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 1.23 ml cayenne pepper
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml cider vinegar
- Place prunes and apricots in saucepan; add 1 cup/250 mL water and bring to boil.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Stir in onion, apple, tomatoes, sugar, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, black and cayenne peppers, salt and vinegar; bring to simmer.
- Cover and simmer on low, stirring occasionally, until thickened to jamlike consistency, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Remove from heat and spoon into jar.
Such a complementary side to a French tourtiere. 22 girls came to a pre-Christmas party in a small town in Quebec. Food was wonderful and this recipe was a huge success. Only thing I did differently was to cut up the fruit into smaller pieces; and, oh yes, a little bit of cognac made it 110% wonderful.
I love this!!! It was so easy to put together and wow, what a nice taste. I ate it with cheese and cracker but think it would be awesome with any meat. This will be wonderful with a Ploughmans lunch! I made half the recipe and I am very sorry I didn't make the full one as this is going to be on hand from here on in. It would also make a great topping for baked brie.
Thanks Elly for posting such a yummy and versatile condiment!
This was another trial run for me to see how well this would turn out, & it performed so well that I've got it on my list of things to make again, especially during the end-of-year holidays! Followed the recipe right on down & came up with A VERY DELICIOUS CHUTNEY (took the hint, too, & served it with a sharp cheddar) that I included on a finger food counter for some friends! Was going to gift half of the chutney to a neighbor, but there wasn't much left of it after my get together! Thanks for sharing this great chutney! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC tag]