Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a very tasty chutney and so easy too, it works well with just about anything but is perticularly good with cheese and crackers, or sausages. I like to give it as presents around christmas, folk are always pleased to receive some. The recipe can be easily halved or doubled with no change to the flavour it will just take a bit longer or shorter time to make. make sure you chop your apples and onion quite small.
- 4 lbs tart apples
- 1 lb red onion
- 1⁄2 lb sultana
- 3⁄4 lb dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 pints cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Put all ingredients in a large pan and cook down slowly till thick enough to draw the spoon through.
- pot up into sterilized jars when still hot and seal.
- Leave to cool then label and store or give as gifts.
A very nice chutney, with a mild flavor, not overly spicy like some. I made one addition. I added 1/2 cup chopped walnuts near the end of the cooking time. This will be a great recipe in the fall when we always have "windfall" apples on the ground. Made for Spring 2011 PAC game.