Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From a nutritional viewpoint, this chowder has everything. In addition, its taste, colour and cost are pleasing. You may add a cup of frozen green peas to make it look even better. This recipe comes from Ontario Canada
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 potatoes, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon savory
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups consomme
- 4 cups milk, scalded
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Add vegetables, savory and bay leaf.
- Stir to coat with butter.
- cover and simmer over low heat 20 mins, stirring once or twice.
- Add broth of consomme and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add hot milk and season to taste.