I made this cake for my daughter Kezia's 4th birthday. It was a winter themed party and my husband even built a little toboggan slide in our backyard. This is a fun cake to make and a real show piece! A little time consuming, but worth every smile on my daughter's face! Prep time does not include cooling time.
- Decorating Ideas: Trees made from Bugle (horn shaped corn snacks) and pretzel trunks Marshmallow snowmen sporting gumdrop hats and noses and fruit by the foot chewy fruit snack roll scarves Teddy Grahams with chewing gum skates, gummy ring inner tubes or gum stick toboggans Ice Teddy Grahams with Mittens, Scarves, and Earmuffs.
- Bake cake as directed on package in 2, 9 inch round pans, using water, oil, and eggs.
- Cool 15 minutes.
- Remove from pans; cool 20 minutes or until completely cooled.
- Freeze one layer for at least 20 minutes.
- In medium bowl, combine frosting and marshmallow creme, beating until smooth.
- Place room temperature cake layer, rounded side down, on serving plate.
- Frost top of cake.
- Place frozen cake later, rounded side up, on cutting board.
- To make pound in cake layer, use small sharp knife to cut out an irregular 6x4 oval shaped hole, no closer than 1 1/2 inches from the edge of the cake.
- Remove oval piece from cake.
- Place frozen cake layer, rounded side up, on top of frosted cake layer.
- Frost side and top of cake.
- Thickly frost inside of the pond being sure to seal completely.
- Cut oval piece in half lengthwise.
- Place 1 half on top of cake close to the pond for sliding hill.
- Secure by inserting pretzels into the hill.
- Frost hill.
- Use other half to feed anxiously watching child Prepare jello as directed for speed set using the hot water and ice cubes.
- Carefully spoon slightly thickened gelatin into the pond to within 1/4 inch of the top of cake.
- Decorate as you desire, using ideas mentioned.
The kids LOVE this!