Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Your birds will love you for this!
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 4 cups cereal (cornmeal, rolled oats, roman meal and/or cream of wheat)
- chopped fruit (raisins, dates, apples)
- sunflower seeds or bird seed
- In a large kettle, bring water and margarine to boiling.
- Slowly add cereals and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture is fully cooked and thick.
- Remove from heat.
- Add peanut butter and desired amount of chopped fruit, nuts, and seeds.
- Cool and place in plastic containers.
- Serving amounts depend on how large you make your bird feeders so the"yield" is a guess.
- Note: pack the mixture into chopped off chunks of panty hose or put in pine cones.
- Hang the mixture in protected crooks of trees.
- You can also spread the mixture onto a surface area (don't use aluminum pans; when it's freezing, little bird feet can stick to the metal and suffer injury), set out on ground or picnic bench.
- By placing the food at different elevations, you will attract many species of birds.
- The food can be preserved in a freezer (if there is any left over).
- Just be sure to use it within three to four months.
Thank you so much for posting this recipe for bird food. I made it this morning and fed the birds. I'm sure it was equivalent to "Biryani" for them because they seemed to really love it(I can tell because it was gone very quickly!). I made some more in the afternoon too and tomorrow or day after, I'm going to go feed it to the birds at Lake Lily Park in memory of OzMartha(SilentCricket). Thanks again for the delicious treat on behalf of the birdies:-) UPDATE: As promised, I made this and took it to the Lake Lily Park this afternoon and guess what - I not only fed many different species of birds(one of which was a CRANE!!!), but this pudding was enjoyed even by a very cute little squirrel!! He was the sweetest of 'em all and I tell you, he "loved" this more than I will ever be able to convey to you:-) Also, I fed some of this to the tortoises, ducks and fishes in the water of the park! You are the sweetest Zaar angel to have posted this treat! A HUGEEEEE THANK YOU!!!