Recipe by Recipe Junkie
From "The Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever"
Top Review by emil
I thought this would have been good but the combination of flavors were awful. I followed the recipe to the "T" and was really disappointed. It may have been the combination of the Dark Beer and prunes, even the apricots or marmalade perhaps. Sorry, but I tried, but even my dog wouldn't eat it, I don't recommend this to anyone.
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup quick mixing flour, such as Wondra Flour
- 4 medium russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 1.25 lbs)
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices (about 1 lb)
- 3⁄4 cup dried apricot
- 3⁄4 cup pitted prune
- 1 (2 1/2-3 lb) boneless beef chuck shoulder pot roast, trimmed of fat
Directions See How It's Made
- In 6 quart electric slow cooker, mix together beer, brandy, Worcestershire sauce, marmalade, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, salt, pepper and flour.
- Reserve 1/2 to 3/4 c of this beer mixture.
- To the mixture remaining in slow cooker, add the potatoes, sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, apricots and prunes.
- Mix well.
- Cut the beef in half horizontally so you end up with two pieces, each about 1 and 1/2" thick.
- Add to slow cooker.
- evenly pour the reserved beer mixture over the top.
- Cover and cook on the low heat setting 10-11 hoursor until the beef and potatoes are tender, stirring once during the cooking time if possible.
- Taste and season with more cinnamon and nutmeg if desired.