1/2 Photos of Winter Beef Stew
3 hrs 25 mins
This is a winter classic and it always tastes even better the next day. When choosing a wine to cook with, always remember that you should choose a wine that you would drink. I use a really robust red, like Nero D’Avola from Sicily or a primitivo. This recipe has a bottle and a half of red wine and is a great way to celebrate winter. Serves 4… with leftovers!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs stew meat, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 (750 ml) bottles red wine
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into 8ths
- 1/2 lb carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 lb celery, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 yellow potatoes, cut in 1 inch pieces
- 1Place stew meat in a large plastic mixing bowl with garlic and bay leaves.
- 2Pour in 1 bottle of wine and place in fridge for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
- 3In a dutch oven or heavy bottom soup pot, heat 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil.
- 4Drain stew meat, saving the liquid, garlic and bay leaves.
- 5Dredge meat in flour, shaking off excess.
- 6Brown meat in dutch oven pan, but only for approximately 5 minutes. Do not fully cook.
- 7Remove meat from pot and set aside.
- 8Add remaining olive oil to pot and add vegetables.
- 9Sauté veggies for 5 minutes, then add the remaining wine plus 1 bottle, scraping the bottom of pan to remove all the bits of flavor.
- 10Add beef broth and tomatoes, bring to a boil.
- 11Add beef back the pot. Cover and simmer for 3 hours.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Winter Beef Stew
Serving Size: 1 (1182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1395.4
- Calories from Fat 589
- Total Fat 65.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.6 g
- Cholesterol 189.9 mg
- Sodium 485.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 13.6 g
- Protein 59.3 g