Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This stew is perfect for a Sunday night dinner. You put it in the oven and practically forget about it, while the house gets filled with a great aroma. Give it a try!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless chuck roast (cut into 1 1/4 in. pieces)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs small red potatoes, cut into chunks
- 3 carrots, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 strip bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a Dutch oven, cook the meat, chopped onion and garlic in oil over medium-high heat until meat is browned on all sides; drain.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, quartered onions and mushrooms.
- In a bowl, combine the broth, apple juice, tomato paste, parsley, bay leaves, dsalt, thyme and pepper. Pour over meat.
- Cover and bake at 325 degrees afor 2 hours. Stir. Bake, uncovered, for 30-45 minutes longer or until stew reaches desired thickness. Discard bay leaves; sprinkle with bacon.