2 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
In ‘Williams-Sonoma: Soup’
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- ground pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more chopped for garnish
- 1 sprig fresh sage (or 1/2 t. dried sage)
- 3/4 lb tender young carrot, peeled
- 7 ounces pearl onions, blanched and peeled
- 1Pat the beef dry with paper towels.
- 2Place the flour in a large
- 3Owl or zip-lock bag and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 4Add the beef in batches and stir or shake to coat thoroughly with the seasoned flour.
- 5In a large Dutch oven over med-high heat, heat 4 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- 6Working in batches, add the beef and brown it evenly on all sides, 5-7 minutes for each batch.
- 7Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- 8Add the vinegar to the pot and, using a wooden spoon, scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- 9Decrease heat to medium and add the remaining 1 T oil to the pot.
- 10Add the onions and sauté until well browned, 12-15 minutes.
- 11Add the sliced parsnips and carrot and sauté until slightly tender, about 3 minute longer.
- 12Add the stock, browned beef and any accumulated juices, wine, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaf, parsley sprigs, and sage; stir to mix well.
- 13Decrease heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the meat is almost fork-tender, about 1 ½ hours.
- 14Add the young carrots, return to a simmer, and cook until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 15Add the pearl onions and cook until just heated through, about 3 minutes longer.
- 16Discard the bay leaf and sage sprigs.
- 17Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 18Ladle into warmed soup bowls and garnish with.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Winter Beef and Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (516 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 752.5
- Calories from Fat 454
- Total Fat 50.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.1 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 480.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 6.4 g
- Protein 42.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: