Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
In ‘Williams-Sonoma: Soup’
Make and share this Winter Beef and Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- ground pepper
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley, plus more chopped for garnish
- 1 sprig fresh sage (or 1/2 t. dried sage)
- 3⁄4 lb tender young carrot, peeled
- 7 ounces pearl onions, blanched and peeled
- Pat the beef dry with paper towels.
- Place the flour in a large
- Owl or zip-lock bag and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef in batches and stir or shake to coat thoroughly with the seasoned flour.
- In a large Dutch oven over med-high heat, heat 4 tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Working in batches, add the beef and brown it evenly on all sides, 5-7 minutes for each batch.
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the vinegar to the pot and, using a wooden spoon, scrape up the browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Decrease heat to medium and add the remaining 1 T oil to the pot.
- Add the onions and sauté until well browned, 12-15 minutes.
- Add the sliced parsnips and carrot and sauté until slightly tender, about 3 minute longer.
- Add the stock, browned beef and any accumulated juices, wine, tomato paste, garlic, bay leaf, parsley sprigs, and sage; stir to mix well.
- Decrease heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the meat is almost fork-tender, about 1 ½ hours.
- Add the young carrots, return to a simmer, and cook until the carrots are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the pearl onions and cook until just heated through, about 3 minutes longer.
- Discard the bay leaf and sage sprigs.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into warmed soup bowls and garnish with.