Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This delectable dish can be served as a vegetable or a main vegetarian course.
- 3 small zucchini, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 3 small summer squash, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 3 small onions, cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 3 medium very ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/8 inch slices
- 1⁄2 lb vermont extra-sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Mix herbs together.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a large Dutch oven or casserole with 1½ tablespoons olive oil; layer each zucchini, summer squash, tomato and onion in that order; top with 1 tablespoon herbs, salt and pepper and ½ tablespoon olive oil; then add 1/3 of the grated cheddar.
- Repeat with a second and third layer.
- Put cover on casserole and bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Check onions and squash for doneness.
- Serve immediately!
This was delicious but deceiving in prep-land. Please be sure to use a BIG dish! I only got 2 layers into a 2qt dish. i didn't have fresh herbs on hand & it was delicious so I imagine it would be over the top with farmstand summer veggies & fresh herbs! this would be really good to double for a crowd. It's going into my 'camp food' cb for that reason! Made for Pool Party Tag 5/10.