Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
For spicy and oh-so-tasty pasta lovers...
Make and share this Winnipeg's Spicy Pasta & Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 796 ml whole tomatoes with juice (1 can)
- 284 ml mushrooms, drained (1 can)
- 1⁄2 kg hot Italian sausage, partially frozen casing removed
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 156 ml tomato paste (1 can)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 350 g tortellini (Olivieri with Three Cheeses)
- In Dutch oven, combine tomatoes and mushrooms and set aside.
- Cut frozen sausage into bite size pieces and add to lightly oiled fry pan.
- Cook until thawed and lightly browned.
- Combine with ingredients in Dutch oven.
- Saute green and red pepper, onion, garlic and Italian Seasoning in oil until slightly tender and add to ingredients in Dutch oven.
- Simmer gently for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, add tomato paste to sauce to thicken.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini as instructed on package (takes approximately 10 minutes).
- Add cheeses to meat sauce, stirring constantly, and when melted, add tortellini.
Excellent, tasty, spicy but not too spicy, comfort food. The proportions of this recipe are great....sauce to sausage is just right. I made some minor changes: one yellow pepper instead of 2 peppers, fresh mushrooms instead of canned, half the amount of italian seasoning, and double the tortellini. This makes a good amount of sauce, enough for a lot of tortellini. I added the tomato paste plus a bit of water at the beginning, covered and simmered away. Thank you for a wonderful, easy and tasty dish, Winnipeg Bill!