Recipe by Chef Winnipeg Bill
For spicy and oh-so-tasty pasta lovers...
Top Review by Cookin-jo
Excellent, tasty, spicy but not too spicy, comfort food. The proportions of this recipe are great....sauce to sausage is just right. I made some minor changes: one yellow pepper instead of 2 peppers, fresh mushrooms instead of canned, half the amount of italian seasoning, and double the tortellini. This makes a good amount of sauce, enough for a lot of tortellini. I added the tomato paste plus a bit of water at the beginning, covered and simmered away. Thank you for a wonderful, easy and tasty dish, Winnipeg Bill!
- 796 ml whole tomatoes with juice (1 can)
- 284 ml mushrooms, drained (1 can)
- 1⁄2 kg hot Italian sausage, partially frozen casing removed
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 156 ml tomato paste (1 can)
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 350 g tortellini (Olivieri with Three Cheeses)
Directions See How It's Made
- In Dutch oven, combine tomatoes and mushrooms and set aside.
- Cut frozen sausage into bite size pieces and add to lightly oiled fry pan.
- Cook until thawed and lightly browned.
- Combine with ingredients in Dutch oven.
- Saute green and red pepper, onion, garlic and Italian Seasoning in oil until slightly tender and add to ingredients in Dutch oven.
- Simmer gently for at least one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Just before serving, add tomato paste to sauce to thicken.
- Meanwhile, cook tortellini as instructed on package (takes approximately 10 minutes).
- Add cheeses to meat sauce, stirring constantly, and when melted, add tortellini.